Health Tip: Help Wipe Out Dust Mites
(HealthDay News) -- Dust mites, each smaller than a period at the end of a printed sentence, produce waste that's a common cause of allergies and asthma.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions to help you get rid of dust mites:
- Cover your mattress in a dust-proof cover with a tight weave.
- Wash all bed linens weekly in very hot water.
- Place pillows in dust-proof covers or wash them weekly.
- Avoid putting carpeting in your bedroom.
- Vacuum all carpeting and upholstery in your home weekly.
- Use an air filter that helps get rid of dust mites.
- Wipe down hard surfaces with a moist rag each week.