Health Tip: Coping With a Pet Allergy
(HealthDay News) -- Just because you or your child has a pet allergy doesn't mean Fido or Fifi has to move out, the American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology says.
The academy offers these suggestions to better cope with a pet allergy:
- Do your best to avoid kissing and hugging pets.
- Keep your bedroom and upholstered furniture off-limits to pets.
- Give your pets a weekly bath, and ask a non-allergic friend or family member to regularly brush them outdoors.
- Ask your veterinarian about a well-balanced diet for pets, which can minimize dander.
- Vacuum with a micro-filter or double bag, and use a HEPA air cleaner at home.
- Minimize carpeting and rugs in your home, as they attract dander.