Health Tip: Ease In-Flight Ear Pain
(HealthDay News) -- Flying can cause discomfort in the ears, and can be especially painful to children with an ear infection.
The Nemours Foundation suggests these ways to help alleviate a child's ear pain during takeoff or landing, when changes in pressure are most likely to trigger ear pain:
- Offer plenty of water or other decaffeinated drinks.
- Give your child acetaminophen or ibuprofen about 30 minutes before takeoff or landing.
- If your child is at least 3 years old, offer a piece of gum or hard candy.
- Offer a baby a bottle or pacifier, or breast-feed.
- Encourage your child to yawn often.
- Keep your child awake during takeoff and landing, and encourage swallowing.