Health Tip: If You or Your Child Have a Food Allergy
(HealthDay News) -- If you have a food allergy or sensitivity, it means your immune system is reacting against a substance it believes could harm you.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers this advice for people with a food allergy or food sensitivity:
- Work with a registered dietitian to help figure out which foods you should avoid, while making sure you don't become malnourished.
- Read food labels carefully, checking for ingredients to avoid.
- Double-check ingredient labels even when you've purchased a food before, in case ingredients have changed.
- Check the labels on cosmetics and body care products, as they may contain allergy-causing ingredients.
- Make sure all child-care providers are informed of your child's food allergy, and that they know what to do if there is a reaction.