Health Tip: Keep Pollen Under Control
(HealthDay News) -- It's impossible to avoid many types of seasonal pollen, but you can take steps to limit your exposure.
The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences offers these suggestions:
- Avoid being outside between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. Pollen counts usually are lower during other hours, especially after a significant rain.
- During the warmer months, keep car and home windows closed, and run the air conditioning.
- Dry your clothes inside in an automatic dryer. If you hang clothing outside, pollen can collect on it and be carried into your home.
- Have someone else mow the lawn. Keep the grass cut short.
- When planting, look for varieties that are low pollen producers.