Health Tip: Easing Hives
(HealthDay News) -- Hives are red, itchy skin welts that stem from an allergic reaction. Finding out what caused the hives is a first step in ending the itch.
The ease the discomfort and prevent hives from returning, the American Academy of Dermatology advises:
- Hives may be triggered by food, medication, animals, pollen, stress or infection.
- A mild case may not need treatment and may subside on its own.
- A cool shower or cool compress placed on the hives can help soothe itch.
- If you have frequent bouts of hives, you may want to find a support group to help you cope.
- Hives accompanied by serious symptoms, such as difficulty breathing, may need an emergency medication. Speak to your doctor.