Health Tip: Got Eczema?
(HealthDay News) -- Bleach bath therapy may be an effective way to manage eczema, if it's approved by the patient's dermatologist.
The American Academy of Dermatology suggests:
- Carefully measure the amount of bleach to mix with bath water. Use 1/2 cup bleach in a full tub, 1/4 cup in a half-full tub, or one teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water for a baby or toddler.
- Use only regular 6 percent strength bleach, never concentrated.
- Always pour bleach into the tub and never apply directly to skin. Allow the tub to finish filling before the person with eczema climbs in.
- Discuss with the dermatologist the appropriate length of the bleach bath -- usually between five minutes and 10 minutes.
- As soon as the person emerges from the bath, gently pat the skin dry and apply any prescribed eczema medication.